Spinach is so versatile; it comes in many different shapes, kinds and sizes, to top it all off spinach can be eaten raw as well. Ah the joys of spinach. I am such a huge spinach fan. As a kid I would be scared to eat spinach because it was green, obviously I associated green with healthy, therefore it should not enter my mouth. Now that I have learned how to cook spinach in a healthy and tasty way, I can eat it with anything and incorporate it into my diet seamlessly. One recipe that I have taught many of my friends because of its simplicity is the way my mom has cooked spinach for years.
- 10 oz. of frozen spinach if fresh is unavailable (L)
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ½ an onion
Preparation is easy! If you are using frozen spinach, make sure you squeeze all the excess water out before adding to pan. Mince up the garlic and onions; begin to fry the two up in a medium sized saucepan to a golden brown with the olive oil. Add the spinach; let it cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes. Stir. Let tomatoes cook into spinach until they explode and then stir again to spread the tomatoes throughout the spinach. Turn the heat off and add lemon juice, cumin, salt and black pepper. Stir.
You’re done! This can be enjoyed with brown rice or pita bread. You can also sprinkle some fresh Parmesan on top if you like. Hope this gets you all back to enjoying the wonderful world of spinach!
10 Benefits of eating spinach:
- Holds Anti-cancerous properties: promoting healthy apoptosis
- Protects from eye diseases
- Prevents macular degeneration
- It’s loaded with flavonoid which act as anti-oxidants, protecting the body from free radicals
- It’s low in calories
- High in vitamins and minerals, including Iron, Vitamin A, C, B2, folic acid as well as manganese and magnesium
- High in Vitamin K which is important for bone health
- Restores energy
- Improves quality of blood